"Commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these words of mine. Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. Teach them to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates." Deuteronomy 11:18-20

This blog is a reflection of our commitment to these to two great commissions.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Childhood expression

by Elizabeth Gilroy
Two weeks ago I started a creative writing class with a group of junior and high school students. I absolutely love inspiring kids to write.  It is clearly my passion and one that I want to infect the world with around me. And right now my world is mostly about kids, whether it be my own, other's or the girls and boys that are being sold in to prostitution on the streets here in San Jose.

Well, this morning I decided to do a creative writing project with Gabi and Abi since they are not a part of the older kids creative writing class. While they sat writing their project, I understood the power of legacy and how important it is to pass on such passions to our children. Writing is a tool our children can use to affect the world around them.  As I pass on my passion and skills, they will learn to use it and create with it in ways that are beyond even where I am.

Here is a sample of what we did today. I found this photo on the internet and told them to look at it and write whatever came to their minds. While gentle music played in the background, here is what they wrote.


Little Girl
by Abigail Gilroy

Little girl on green grass soft as feathers
Sweet little girl with white tights and many frights.
She follows her dreams through everything.
Little girl sweet as honey
and shimmering brown hair.
Sunshine
by Gabriella Gilroy

Smell the grass, the dirt, the trees
See the children play, 
All but one,
She sits alone thinking
no one likes her.
The boys play pranks,
the girls gossip.
Poor little girl.
The sun shines down on the fields.
Nobody seems to notice the twinkle in her eye.

Writing is a powerful form of expression. It can touch every aspect of the human condition. If we can teach our kids, now while they are young, to reach into the pain and suffering of others, we have begun our journey of making them true missionaries. Missionaries that pursue the heart of God, to care about what He cares about, to act from His calling and be the hands and feet of healing and hope for others. 

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. 
~ Ben Franklin

2 comments:

  1. I have just discovered your blog via different homeschool sites and am not even sure how I ended up here. But a couple of your blogs have brought me to tears and encouraged me. Crazy to find you mention Alaska...I'm in Anchorage! =) And very drawn to human trafficking issues lately, and a homeschooling mom. So I am looking forward to more blogs from your heart! Do you have another site that talks more about your work there? I am not seeing a link to the other blog you referenced.
    Thanks!!
    Christy

    ReplyDelete