"Commit yourselves wholeheartedly to these words of mine. Tie them to your hands and wear them on your forehead as reminders. Teach them to your children. Talk about them when you are at home and when you are on the road, when you are going to bed and when you are getting up. Write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates." Deuteronomy 11:18-20

This blog is a reflection of our commitment to these to two great commissions.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Choosing the Best over Good Enough

More than 7 years ago, I stepped into the daunting yet beautiful world of home education. It was daunting in that I did not know anything about it. It was beautiful in that I had my girls home with me - exactly where they belong.
Reading is a part of everyday school and life.
Today we are living in Costa Rica, the part of the world God has placed us in fulfilling the Great Commission.  As I look back over these past 7 years I see that God had it all planned. I just had to hear His voice and obey.
Graci after her last ballet recital before we came to Central America
When Grace, our oldest, was in first grade, we put her in a reputable Christian school in Wasilla, Alaska and Gabriella in a lovely preschool. For that first semester, I spent my days driving around town dropping kids off, picking kids up and running errands while my 3-year-old sat in the back seat wondering if there was more to life than a car seat and gold fish crackers. By 4:30 p.m. on many days, I found myself sitting in my driveway in tears, asking myself, "Is this what being a mom is supposed to be like? Why am I so miserable?"
Life is so full of fun and laughter. We are together.
It was at this point the Holy Spirit began to speak to me. I began asking myself a lot of questions. Here's a few:
1. Why do these teachers get my children for the best part of their day?
2. Why do I have my children for the most stressful parts of the day: dinner time, bed time, wake up.
3. How is it that even in a Christian environment my kids are picking up very ungodly attitudes?
4. How is it that at the age of 6 my daughter's friends are playing girlfriend and boyfriend?
5. Why does it seem that a Christian school is not the BEST option for my children?
6. Why is it that my children are spending more time per week in the care of someone else?
7. What am I doing wrong that my 4-year-old Gabriella is still wetting the bed?
Abigail dressed up for her ballet recital
These questions plagued my mind every day as I scouted my way around the streets of Wasilla making sense of being a parent while sitting in a car. In it all, I kept telling myself that I had choices in how to school my children. Public school. Private school. Christian school. Home school. We were simply making a choice. Then the Holy Spirit whispered, "Yes, Christian school is a good option. But is it the BEST choice?"

It was then I knew that I was meant to bring my children home. So over the next 2 weeks I arranged for my 2 girls to come home for their education. In January of 2004, we began the journey that continues to this day.  Two weeks later my Gabriella quit wetting the bed.  I knew I had made the right decision.

Gabi at the Alaska State Fair 2009
Today I am still convinced that decision was the right one. Yes, there are days I question and wonder. There are days I seriously consider a brick and mortar approach to educating my children. Then, once again, I am reminded of why I do this. Why I continue to make my days so crazy busy. Why I often feel overwhelmed. Why I sacrifice my own agenda. Why I choose the road less traveled.

Most often these reminders come from the mouths of my own children.  One day I was teaching Abigail, age 6, about nouns. We were talking about how a noun is a person, like a policeman or a nurse or fireman. After a bit of dialog I asked her if she could come up with one herself. She paused then said, "Mom, isn't an anthro... anthrop... anthropologist one?" Once I closed my gaping mouth, I told her yes that is one.  It was an amazing moment. One that affirmed the decision I had made years earlier.
Our journey is full of friendships, dear friendships. Highly valued and cherished.
Today I see that God had me bring my children home 7 years ago because He knew our home would not always be in Alaska. He saw and knew that one day we would need to home school out of necessity as we fulfilled the call to missions. And so today, here we are.

We have made our beliefs and ideals a lifestyle. No longer are they just thoughts or dreams. We are answering the commission to go into all the world, while obeying His call to keeping our children at home. And the world is now our classroom.
We have joined hands and walk together.

1 comment:

  1. What a delightful way to share your story. IT will be such an encouragement to others on the mission field and back at home. I look forward to reading more.

    Hugs from Arizona,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete